Friday, October 17, 2008

Like Father, Like Daughter?

Adam has two-best-friends at school, Will & Henry. These boys are fun kids, they both know me and I often get hugs from them when I pick Adam up at night. According to the teachers, the three of them together can be quite a handful when the get going, but the mostly entertain each other. But Will & Henry seem to have a bad influence on my son.

It started months and months ago, when Adam was still in the toddler room. Will &/or Henry taught Adam about GUNS. He would come home from school and tell me "pew-pew you're dead," while shooting me with pretend guns. (This issue has been resolved, mostly.)

But lately, it's been a different situation. It begins with Star Wars. Any of you who know Mike know that he has a little crush on Star Wars, and apparently this is rubbing off on his son. Which makes Mike quite happy (in fact earlier this week he pulled out all of his Star Wars shirts to show Adam). With the release of the new Clone Wars cartoon, more kids are being introduced to the lives of Yoda, Luke, the Wookies and Darth Vader; including Adam, Will & Henry.

A few weeks ago, Adam was virtually clueless when it came to Star Wars. He knew "d2d2" and "3p0" but that was about it. Now the kid tells me stories about characters I don't know, getting into fights in places I've never heard of and explains to me who the good guys and bad guys are and tells me all about his light saber.

When we get in the car after school, I always ask Adam about his day.

"What did you do at school today?"

"I shooted the Wookies with my light saber and I was Princess Leah"

"You were Princess Leah? But she's a girl. Are you a girl?"

"Yes, I'm Princess Leah. Henry says so."

And there you have it, peer pressure at age three has convinced my son that he want to be a Princess.

(PS: Daddy has been teaching him other characters he can be, like Luke - it seems to be catching on.)

No comments: